We want to welcome you into the fellowship of Christian believers known as the First United Methodist Church in McCamey, Texas. We are a community of persons who are seeking a deeper relationship with God, through the example of Jesus Christ, and the guidance of the Holy Spirit. May you experience God's grace while you are a part of the ministry here at the First United Methodist Church.

Saturday, December 4, 2010

Advent devotional for December 4th

Remember September 11, 2001?  I imagine most people remember that day!  Pastor Charles was serving as a Navy chaplain at the Naval Hospital at Camp Lejeune, North Carolina.  Within days of that event: (1) He had married two sailors on a nearby beach; (2) He had officiated at a funeral for a sailor who had been killed at the Pentagon; (3) He had left for deployment to California (with no known return date).

During that time, a lot of us were not sure about what the future would bring.  The newlyweds’ honeymoon leave had been cancelled.  A local family was grieving the loss of their son.  Military members were not sure where they might be sent next -- to help protect our country.  We prayed that God would give us the courage and the strength to deal with whatever might come our way.

In November, Charles and I made the decision to be frugal with the presents we would give each other.  We wanted to focus on what was truly important to us (and not just “stuff”). To be honest, I cannot remember what I gave him.  However, I will never forget what he gave me!  It was Christmas morning. We were at home, sitting by a roaring fire.  I remember feeling content and blessed by all we had in our lives.  We knew that God loves us unconditionally, and we knew that we loved one another.

Charles presented his gift to me, which I carefully unwrapped. Inside the box were five gold rings.  I remember staring into the box.  Charles could tell I was confused, so he told me the rest of the story.  He had paid a visit to a local pawn shop, where he had spent a lot of time combing through a very large box of gold rings, since he wanted them to be about the same size.  He explained that he wanted his lady to have "five golden rings” to remind her that he is, in fact, her “true love”… just like the words in the Christmas song: “The 12 Days of Christmas.”

Words cannot express the joy I experienced… and still experience… when I remember that my sweet husband thought enough of us and our love… to present me with the perfect Christmas gift! Thanks be to God for His True Love!!!


Belinda Alkula

No comments:

Post a Comment